Kenya Macadamia Aggregation & Extension Officer Job, Current NGO Job Vacancies in Kenya,
at One Acre Fund – Kenya (View all jobs)
About One Acre Fund
Founded in 2006, One Acre Fund supplies 1 million smallholder farmers with the agricultural services they need to make their farms vastly more productive. Our 8,000+ team is drawn from diverse backgrounds and professions. With operations across six core countries in Africa, we make farmers more prosperous by providing quality farm supplies on credit, delivered within walking distance of farmers’ homes, and agricultural training to improve harvests. On average, the farmers we serve harvest 50 percent more food after working with One Acre Fund.
To learn more about our work, take a look at our Why Work Here blog for more information.
About the Role
One Acre Fund Kenya is transitioning from a startup to a mature operation – and we need staff members to continue our growth trajectory.
The mandate of the Market Access team is to start up agribusinesses that work for smallholder farmers, focusing on high value crops such as macadamia and avocados. As an Extension and Aggregation Officer, you will help pilot new programs as they move from early stage trials to large-scale. You will report to a Regional Manager in the Market Access team.
- Develop knowledge of the standard market requirements
- Marketing, enrolling and organizing farmers in groups
- Conduct in-person trainings to farmers about good agricultural practices
- Make daily field visits to ensure quality standards are met and monitor all activities
- Collect data and report on the compliance of farmers with requirements
- Organize sourcing from smallholder farmers, from coordinating harvesters, carrying out negotiations to paying farmers and keeping records.
- Make regular reports on the progress of trials
Career Growth and Development
We have a strong culture of constant learning and we invest in developing our people. You’ll have weekly check-ins with your manager, access to mentorship and training programs, and regular feedback on your performance. We hold career reviews every six months, and set aside time to discuss your aspirations and career goals. You’ll have the opportunity to shape a growing organization and build a rewarding long-term career.
Across all roles, these are the general qualifications we look for . For this role specifically, you will have:
- A minimum of 2 years work experience in a related field, including providing extension advice to farmers
- Knowledge of the macadamia value chain (e.g. nut varieties, quality, seasonality) is appreciated
- Strong numeric and data collections skills
- Ability to coordinate teams for harvesting and sourcing from smallholders
- Passionate about serving smallholder farmers
- Good communication and inter-personal skills
- National ID Card
- Minimum Education; KSCE/Certificate/Diploma
- Language: English, Kiswahili required
- Applicants from Kirinyaga and Embu counties; and it’s environs are highly encouraged to apply.
This is a short-term position (6 months), with the possibility of extension based on the project trial outcome.
Preferred Start Date
We are looking for candidates to start in July. Given the changing environment, we will appreciate your flexibility in confirming a start date.
Embu and Kirinyaga Counties, Kenya
This role is only open to citizens or permanent residents of Kenya.
How To Apply
Application Deadline: 18th June 2021
One Acre Fund never asks candidates to pay any money or pay for tests at any stage of the interview process. Official One Acre Fund emails will always arrive from an @ oneacrefund.org address. Please report any suspicious communication here ( [email protected] ), but do not send applications or application materials to this email address.
Diversity, Equity, Inclusion (DEI), and anti-racism are deeply connected to our organization’s mission and purpose. One Acre Fund aspires to build a culture where all staff feel consistently valued, represented, and connected – so that our team can thrive as professionals, and achieve exceptional impact for the farmers we serve.
We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, marital status, disability, gender, gender identity or expression. We are proud to be an equal opportunity workplace.