Communications Specialist Job, Communication Kenyan Jobs 2021,
World Vision Kenya is part of the Inter-Agency Scheme for the Disclosure of Safeguarding-related Misconduct in Recruitment Process within the Humanitarian and Development Sector and all candidates will thus be screened as appropriate for any safeguarding related misconduct.
Job Title : Communications Specialist (Media and Public Engagement)
Reporting to : Communication and Marketing Manager
Grade Level : 14
Work Location : Nairobi
Purpose of Position
Participate in the full scope of strategic communication tasks that provides the organization with the means to increase its visibility and strengthen brand awareness through timely and effective tailored communications to inform, educate and inspire influence, income and impact for child well-being. These include but not limited to the development and roll out of strategic communications, marketing, media engagement, event coverage and social media engagement in the broad agenda for both local and global stakeholders.
Communication and External Engagement – Media, Marketing and Public Engagement (40%)
- Provide full range support of journalistic, public relations, and marketing techniques, platforms, and products, to inform, increase awareness, and shape the organization’s brand image.
- Lead in media planning, engagements and timely response to media inquiries and perform media outreach to achieve brand placement in publications and other mass media platforms.
- Develop, write, edit and produce a broad range of marketing and communications materials such as storytelling, social media, speeches, briefings, articles, and others using expertise and experience to identify the right channels and styles for specific audiences.
- Contribute messaging that is appropriate for the target media
- Develop and maintain working relationships with journalists in multiple types of media outlets and maximize opportunities for the organization to be featured in various types of media outputs and ensure effective media relations.
- Proactively pitch ideas for new content and content updates to the Communications & Marketing Manager and contribute to the maintenance of planning of a content calendar.
- Support communications and digital marketing in the design and execution of communication campaigns, the growing and maintaining social media platforms and presence across all of World Vision Kenya’s platforms.
- Contribute in crisis management through media monitoring for potential reputational risks.
- Assist with the planning and management of VIP visits and events ensuring mainstream and social media output from these events is timely, accurate and engaging.
- Track analytics and create reports detailing successes and failures of communications content
- Ensure that all communications and marketing material align with brand standards
Networking, Partnerships & Advocacy (25%)
- Work with the respective technical leads, advocacy and communication staff to ensure timely and tactical proactive and reactive communications through appropriate channels
- In coordination with advocacy, disaster management and other technical leads, produce strategic content designed to build World Vision Kenya engagement and partnerships to ensure the organization remains nimble and responsive in emerging issues
- Work closely with advocacy teams in key stakeholder engagement in coordinated advocacy communications including through joint events, statements and other forms of collaboration.
Planning and Capacity Building (20%)
- As media focal point, coach others to create and deliver effective messages as thought leaders to represent World Vision activities to the media, discussing both current events and strategic issues of improved and sustained well-being of vulnerable children in Kenya
- Under the guidance of the Communications & Marketing Manager, train and position approved media spokespersons to respond to media inquiries and achieve positive coverage for World Vision Kenya
- Under the guidance of Communications & Marketing Manager provide advice and training to others where needed on communications activity – eg advice on social media, media interviews or other related skills.
- Support in developing strategic solutions to emerging communications challenges.
Learning, Documentation and Quality Assurance (10%)
- Document success stories/case studies and best practices, and to be shared during learning events.
- Review project publications and external marketing engagement materials for alignment to WVI quality and brand.
- Create relationships and connections utilizing various channels for information sharing, learning, influence to help shape and advance the communications agenda
- Participate in Trans teams and support other initiatives by partners in the spirit of integration
- Perform any other duties as assigned by supervisor or designee.
- Bachelor’s degree in Communications, Marketing, Journalism or a related discipline.
- A minimum of five years of progressively responsible experience in public information, external communications, journalism, international relations,
- A minimum of three years of experience in leading social media campaigns and analytics with understanding of the best practices of main social media channels including Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, LinkedIn, etc writing for the web and day-to-day running of social media accounts (with sensitivity and an understanding of different audiences and subject matter)
- Experience working in a communications office or for a media outlet in print, radio or television is desirable.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills, with demonstrated experience in strong editorial skills for traditional media & digital publication and distribution
- Strong communicator who works well independently and with the team
- Ability to think strategically and identify ways to improve communication efforts
- Understanding of communications, public relations and marketing best practices
- Knowledge of Adobe PhotoShop, InDesign, and Illustrator is an asset
- Photo/video editing skills are desirable
- Media Council of Kenya accreditation is preferred.
How to Apply