- Company: Volunteer Service Overseas (VSO)
- Location: Kenya
- State: Nairobi
- Job type: Full-Time
- Job category: Administrative/Secretarial Jobs in Kenya
Voluntary Service Overseas is the world’s leading development charity fighting poverty through volunteers. Join us to create a world without poverty.
Responsible to: Project Officer-RELi Responsible for: National Volunteer (1) and Community Volunteers (7) Location, Group & Function: Field Based-Either Laikipia or Isiolo
Job Purpose: The purpose of this role is to work in close collaboration with county governments, Education Actors, schools, parents, communities and volunteers to deliver Right to Education and Life for Children with Disabilities Project.
- Project Implementation
- Ensure timely implementation of project activities as per the approved activity plan and with support from the project officer
- Lead in identification of potential schools; assessment of implementing partners, and contribute to project design and adaptive programming
- Conduct administrative and financial duties related to all aspects of project implementation; organise all necessary logistics for project activities, such as meetings, events, workshops, trainings, M&E activities etc..
- Maintain an effective communication system and ensure information flow between project and relevant parties.
- Undertake extensive travel to project Counties to lead in implementation of activities, capacity building of volunteers, implementing partners and primary actors.
- Ensure quality administration and financial management in all project sites
- Assist in drafting contracts, work plans, budgets, and writing project internal and donor reports.
- Manage and regularly check project assets to ensure their right purpose of use, maintains data management and filing system for the projects.
- Provide support for other VSO activities as reasonably requested by supervisors and in line with organizational priorities.
- Project Monitoring and Evaluation
- Lead in the development of the project M&E framework with a complete Indicator Definition framework.
- Lead project evaluation activities such as baseline, mid and end line evaluation; ensure project M&E plan is in place.
- Ensure effective monitoring of activities to achieve project outcomes.
- Lead in documentation of change stories and development of knowledge products for VSO cross-learning.
Skills, Knowledge and Experience
Essential criteria (must have to be able to carry out the role successfully)
Bachelor’s degree in Special Needs Education or inclusive Education
- At least 2 years’ experience working in the field of both project management, finance or administrative experience in an NGO or community based organisation.
- Evidence of knowledge and skills in Monitoring and Evaluation
- Evidence of previous experience in implementing Disability project
- Proven experience in coaching and mentoring of team members
- Good written and spoken English and Kiswahili skills, Kenya Sign Language skills is an added
- Ability to work effectively as a team member and with minimal supervision
- Good written and oral communication
- Evidence of effective problem solving and organisational skills
- Evidence of professionalism and high integrity
- Evidence of openness to learning to improve own performance
- Communicating & influencing: Proactively builds relationships and generates effective discussion and mutual support for plans and ideas
- Managing knowledge: Proactively seeks out new knowledge sources (people and data); uses and shares knowledge effectively
- Working together: Proactively enables and encourages teamwork in others
- Striving for excellence: Leads initiatives to improve monitoring, evaluation and learning; is a role model for continuous learning and improvement
- Managing resources: Organises own and others’ work to meet objectives; clarifies accountability of roles; allocates budget wisely; seeks ways to generate and save money
- Managing people: Builds an effective team with clear objectives; allocates work appropriately; deals with poor performance and recognises success