Act Change Transform (Act!) is a local Non-Governmental Organization whose mission is to facilitate the empowerment of marginalized people and communities in Kenya and neighboring countries, to become active participants in their development by enabling them to: stand up for their rights; demand good governance in the management of resources; and participate in decision making processes. Act! does this through implementing partners, offering them capacity development, management of grants so that value for money is achieved and providing strategic leadership in national advocacy for the benefit of women, youth, people with disabilities and other marginalized communities.
This is technical role that supports the ICT function in delivering which is designated to ICT support to all staff of Act! and ensures the smooth running of all ICT supported operations and work activities. The holder of this role is charged with the responsibility to maintain all ICT facilities and equipment (hardware, software, and networking/communications). S/he will perform installations, maintenance, user training, and user support, as required for servers, VSAT’s and personal computers; plans and coordinates projects to meet future needs.
The holder of this position reports to the IT Manager, who is the functional head. The ICT function is part of the Finance and Operations department. As technical resource within the ICT team, the holder of this role will exercise a high degree of discretion and confidentiality in supporting the ICT function to set the direction for ICT technical developments and to oversee the implementation of all ICT functions, development and technical support to staff and branch offices.
Be part of the ICT team that develops effective ICT Support System in systems administration, software installation and network security and provide direct technical support in all of the areas below:
- Software installation (including updating of user licenses), support and documentation.
Ensure that the current computer applications are meeting the needs of users. These include:
Upgrade of Operating systems and other software’s
Administration of software requiring integration with the server
- Facilitate timely systems upgrades.
- Ensure prompt and professional responses to malfunction reports.
- Maintain Information Security and System Integrity.
- Ensure security of financial and other information running on Act!’s network is maintained at all times.
- Provide on-call consulting advice and technical support to various users/client organizations regarding specific operational/applications issues.
- Install and debug new and/or upgraded software on server and client platforms as required, ensuring compliance with current site licenses; designs, manages project websites and Partner websites.
- Troubleshoot networks, systems, and applications to identify and correct malfunctions and other operational problems.
- Facilitate routine, day-to-day hardware and software maintenance support.
- Provide general and in-depth technical guidance, assistance, and maintenance support to end users, as requested and maintain a high standard of customer service in dealing with and responding to questions.
- Liaise with other external IT service providers (contractors) in troubleshooting and maintenance of the network gateway to ensure smooth flow of information both internally and externally.
Administrative (ICT) Support:
- Contribute to the periodic review and implementation of ICT policies, rules and procedures that meet industry best practices and ensure full understanding by staff and compliance of the policies, rules and procedures at all levels within the Organization.
- Support the function led in overseeing the deployment, support, and maintenance of file, exchange, domain, phone system and print servers for all users.
- Support the maintenance of DNS, DHCP, security, mail, web, and FTP services for all staff and websites.
- Plan and implement system security policy, to include firewalls, host and client access, file permissions, and user accounts (Ensure secure operation of all servers and services.)
- Support the ICT function to maintain broad knowledge of state-of-the-art computer technology, equipment, and systems; participates in professional development activities as appropriate.
- Support the performance of upgrades on a wide variation of operating systems, including systems integration and customization.
- Analysis and resolution of computer applications and systems problems for multiple users.
- Offer in-depth technical assistance to end users.
- Optimum systems availability
- Minimum system disruptions
- Sound system maintenance plans
- Sound security controls
- Minimum systems downtime
- Efficient use support systems
- High quality ICT hardware and software
Qualification, Experience and Skills:
University Degree in IT related field e.g. Computer Science and Information Systems or any other related field.
- Professional/Additional Qualification and Professional Certifications such as MCSE, CCNA, Linux +/LPI and Oracle database applications are highly desirable.
- UNIX Administration knowledge, knowledge of Microsoft IIS and Apache is preferred, knowledge of Microsoft Windows 2000/2003 server.
Indicative level of Experience
- Minimum demonstrated 3 years’ experience of solid ICT work in a similar environment.
Essential Skills and Competencies
- System design skills
- User need definition skills
- Ability to customize systems to specific corporate environment
- Ability to work under pressure and with minimum supervision
- Proven inter-personal, decision making and analytical skills
- Demonstrated ability to work as a team player in a multi-disciplinary team setting
- Experience in website maintenance, network administration, advanced knowledge of database management (Oracle, MySQL etc.)
- Excellent communication skills
If you meet the requirements as contained in the position description, please submit (1) a detailed and current CV; (2) an Application Cover Letter demonstrating why you qualify for the position, quoting your current/last gross salary and three referees including their most current contact details. All applications should be submitted electronically to [email protected] quoting the reference number (ACT/ICT/01/2021) and position on the e-mail subject line. Only candidates shortlisted for interviews will be contacted.
Deadline for applications submission is COB 5:00 PM Tuesday 23 rd March, 2021.
Act! is an equal opportunity employer with zero tolerance to corruption.