- Company: United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees (UNHCR)
- Location: Kenya
- State: Nairobi
- Job type: Full-Time
- Job category: - - Data Science / Research Jobs in KenyaIT/Telecom Jobs in KenyaUNHCR Jobs in Kenya
UNHCR was created in 1950, during the aftermath of the Second World War, to help millions of Europeans who had fled or lost their homes. We had three years to complete our work and then disband. Today, over 65 years later, our organization is still hard at work, protecting and assisting refugees around the world.
Organizational Setting and Work Relationships
The Associate Durable Solutions Officer can serve as a focal point for solutions related issues in a region, and reports to the Durable Solutions Officer, Protection Officer or, where appropriate, to the Senior Protection Officer or Head of Office. The incumbent may have supervisory responsibility for durable solutions staff.
The incumbent is relied upon to contribute to ensuring a conducive environment leading towards finding durable solutions. The Associate Durable Solutions Officer should participate in consultative processes within UNHCR and a broad range of partners to promote durable solutions and advance the efficiency of UNHCR¿s interventions. Activities to strengthen the involvement of refugee communities and their hosts in the design and implementation of solutions strategies are a critical element of the work.
All UNHCR staff members are accountable to perform their duties as reflected in their job description. They do so within their delegated authorities, in line with the regulatory framework of UNHCR which includes the UN Charter, UN Staff Regulations and Rules, UNHCR Policies and Administrative Instructions as well as relevant accountability frameworks. In addition, staff members are required to discharge their responsibilities in a manner consistent with the core, functional, cross-functional and managerial competencies and UNHCR¿s core values of professionalism, integrity and respect for diversity.
- Implement activities in accordance with the comprehensive solutions strategy, with a view to finding durable solutions to the maximum number of PoCs.
- Participate in the planning of, and advise on opportunities for alternative solutions, including available regional and national legal frameworks.
- Participate in consultative processes within UNHCR and with a broad range of regional and national external partners to promote voluntary repatriation, local integration and resettlement.
- Meet PoC, assess their durable solutions needs and identify the most appropriate solutions for them.
- Monitor the implementation of the durable solutions strategy and provide advice for improvements.
- Analyse statistics, trends, and other documents, and draft reports.
- Interview and prepare Resettlement Referral Forms (RRF), in line with Resettlement SOPs.
- Interview candidates for local integration and prepare the appropriate documentation for onward submission to local authorities or partners, in line with Local Integration SOPs.
- Implement and contribute to the designing of national and regional comprehensive durable solutions strategies
- Engage national and local interlocutors on durable solutions issues.
- Authorize payments relating to durable solutions.
- Perform other related duties as required.
Education & Professional Work Experience
Years of Experience / Degree Level
- For P2/NOB – 3 years relevant experience with Undergraduate degree; or 2 years relevant experience with Graduate degree; or 1 year relevant experience with Doctorate degree
Field(s) of Education
- Political Science;
- Social Science;
- Law/International Law;
- International Relations;
- or other relevant field.
- (Field(s) of Education marked with an asterisk* are essential)
- Certificates and/or Licenses
- HCR Protection Learning Prg;
- HCR Resettlement Lrng Prg;
- HCR RSD Lrng Programme;
- (Certificates and Licenses marked with an asterisk* are essential)
Relevant Job Experience
- Good knowledge of refugee issues and Human Rights doctrine. Very good reporting and writing ability.
- Diverse field experience. Knowledge of ProGress database software.
- CO-Drafting and Documentation
- IT-Microsoft Office Productivity Software
(Functional Skills marked with an asterisk* are essential)
- For International Professional and Field Service jobs: Knowledge of English and UN working language of the duty station if not English.
- For National Professional jobs: Knowledge of English and UN working language of the duty station if not English and local language.