- Company: International Federation of Red Cross and Red Crescent Societies – IFRC
- Location: Kenya
- State: Nairobi
- Job type: Contract
- Job category: Data Science / Research Jobs in Kenya
The International Federation of Red Cross and Red Crescent Societies (IFRC) is the world’s largest humanitarian network.
The overall goal of the trend analysis humanitarian intern is to update the Humanitarian Need in Sub-Saharan Africa: Planning a more Risk -Informed response Trend Analysis report produced in 2016 to inform a more proactive, risk informed humanitarian response in Sub-Saharan Africa now and in the future. It is envisioned that the document will support in strategy development as well as advocacy and fundraising efforts.
Job Duties And Responsibilities
The scope of this assignments will involve but not limited to:
- Explore what past Federation Secretariat spending on natural hazards, technological and human induced hazards can tell about humanitarian needs now and in the coming future.
- Explore efforts towards prediction of needs, looking at the initiatives that exist and consider what bottom-up data collection and collation could do within the political of aid.
- Analyse other external trends done on the same subject by other partners and organisations within the African Region documented in the Partnership Meeting in Lomé.
In Order To Provide a Comprehensive Analysis, a Balance Range Of Qualitative And Quantitative (where Applicable) Methods Which Includes But Not Limited To The Following List
- Desk Review : Review of existing secondary information and reports relevant to the assessment. This will provide an analysis and discussion of facts and data within the assignment context. The literature will include among others contextual information, Emergency and DREF documents and other information on food security, livelihoods, security and socio-economic context as will be found necessary by the selected firm.
- Qualitative Data Collection : Key Informant Interviews and Interviews with field staff.
- Field Observations and Reflections for triangulation of information: Reflection and feedback sessions with selected team members in the field (or were in the field), Nairobi Based and other key informants.
- Draft updated report of the Trend Analysis on Humanitarian Needs in Sub-Saharan Africa for the feedback and comments.
- Presentation of the Main Findings of the Trend Analysis on the Humanitarian Need In Africa
- Summary version of the final report to be shared with African National Societies (ANS), partner National Societies and other interested stakeholders.
Final report to be publishes internally (or perhaps externally) I English outlining the following results:
- Key Trends within & without the IFRC spending on Humanitarian Response
- Key needs identified based on the Trend analysis within & without the IFRC.
- Key recommendations moving forward.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Meteorology, Social Sciences, Disaster Risk Reduction, Monitoring and Assessment and other areas relevant for the assignment.
- 2 years of relevant experience work in Social Sciences or related studies with specific reference to Trend analysis in Humanitarian needs and risk informed response.
Knowledge, Skills and Language
- Knowledge and understanding of Disaster Risk Reduction approaches and methodologies including emergency response.
- Demonstrated analytical and writing skills.
Competencies and Values
- Collaboration and teamwork
- Creativity and innovation
- Building trust
- Respect for diversity
- This is a National Staff position and only Kenyan Citizens will be considered.