Country Manager Job, Other Professions,
Country Manager // East Africa (Kenya and Uganda)
About this job
As Country Manager // East Africa you will be accountable for the success of JUMO across East Africa. You will be responsible for operationalising and growing the business in line with the JUMO Growth and New Markets (GNM) strategy by deploying the JUMO technology stack to connect entrepreneurs and consumers to inclusive financial services. You will report to the General Manager // In-Market Operations.
- In coordination with other teams, operationalise the country strategy for JUMO East Africa, aligned to and integrated with the overall JUMO mission and JUMO GNM strategy.
Drive engagements with existing and potential partners. Leveraging your existing networks, identifying key influencers and initiating engagements to build and maintain strong partnerships that are mutually beneficial. Counterparties include:
- Capital providers such as Tier 1 FSPs, MFIs, Government and Development funds.
- MNOs, wallet providers, affiliates and other consumer network partners.
- Government, Central Bank and other regulatory and industry bodies.
- Contribute to overall performance by maximising the value of each JUMO ecosystem. This will extend to identifying and capitalising on new opportunities, partnerships and industry trends.
- Be the project manager for all new initiatives, enhancements and experiments run in the country. The CM will be responsible for reporting on progress of the project both internally with support from project teams as well as externally to relevant partners.
- Represent JUMO in country at all relevant platforms for promoting and extending JUMO’s overall strategy for Uganda and Kenya.
Work closely with the rest of JUMO GNM & Group to deploy the JUMO business model(s). Therefore working with the:
- GNM Leadership Team – aligning local strategy to the GNM strategy
- Product and Partnerships – leading project teams to develop products and/or business models to be deployed.
- Capital Strategy team – securing local capital via FSPs and other appropriate funding sources
- Portfolio / Prediction team – maximising portfolio performance and providing explanatory commentary to partners as needed.
- Legal Team – negotiating contractual terms with partners / affiliates
- Customer experience / success team – ensuring adequate and timely customer support for all in country products.
- Ability to manage external relationships across levels from Jnr Management to Executives.
- Strong commercial and business acumen, particularly someone that can easily operate across a number of disciplines and has the ability to think about all aspects of the business
- Intellect and judgement
- Resourceful and able to execute: Take full ownership ‘buck stops with me’ – ability to work independently and to make it happen, will do everything it takes to get it done
- Understands how big organisations work, but is able to work in a small, agile and fast paced environment
- Strong leadership experience in working in a matrix organisation
- Ability to break down complex challenges into measurable work streams and to lead the delivery.
- Good project manager that is able to coordinate multiple team efforts, track progress and report on key risks to success
- Ability to work remotely – must be able to manage one’s time and deliver as expected, as well as get other team members to deliver while working remotely
- Commercial experience / acumen and very strong with people.
- A self-starter, able to work independently and collaboratively as needed, and escalate only when necessary.
- 8-10 years plus banking and regulatory experience. MNO / Payments Tech experience a bonus. Ideally at Senior leader level of a recognised institution in East Africa
- A bachelor’s degree or equivalent from an accredited institution of higher learning
- A strong understanding of Mobile money platforms and related business models
- A wide network in business and government
We ask a lot of each other at JUMO, but we give a lot too .
Things you’ll love
- Collaborating with smart, engaging people in an inspiring work environment
- Working for impact
- Growing and learning continuously, with loads of encouragement and support
- Boldly taking risks as we navigate new challenges
- Flexible work practices enabling your best delivery
- Being autonomous and empowered to lead
You will be based in Kenya or Uganda. We operate a remote first working approach where working remotely is our default way of working. We have co-working spaces available in Nairobi and Kampala for collaboration and connection and for the use of those who value and want to work out of an office. You have flexibility where to work from, as long as you have access to a reliable connection and are set up to work remotely.
Diversity and Inclusion
At JUMO, we believe that diversity strengthens our teams and we strive in our recruitment process to create an environment where people from every background can collaborate and prosper and be themselves
How to Apply