- Company: World Vision Kenya
- Location: Kenya
- State: Nairobi
- Job type: Full-Time
- Job category: Project Management Jobs in Kenya
World Vision is an international Christian relief, development and advocacy organisation working in almost 100 countries world-wide to create lasting change in the lives of children, families and communities to overcome poverty and injustice.
Reporting to : Cluster Manager
Grade Level : 14
Work Location : Illaramatak
Purpose of Position
Provide technical oversight and coordination of the LET’S PLAY AND LEARN PROJECT to ensure efficient and effective implementation of project activities. The job holder will be responsible for the overall strategic and operational management of the project whose objective is to ensure integration of play in learning through improved skills among teachers, increased access to quality inclusive teaching & learning resources and improved ecosystem that supports learning through play in the identified schools and communities in Matete and Ilaramatak.
Technical Support, leadership and management (45%)
- Provide effective, innovative and strategic leadership and direction to the project staff.
- Develop appropriate implementation strategies for the project.
- Ensure quality implementation, monitoring and evaluation of the project’s interventions on improved skills among teachers, quality inclusive teaching & learning resources and improved ecosystem that supports learning through play.
- Ensure social inclusion and conflict sensitive programming.
- Ensure integration of the grant with other Area Programs (APs) technical project objectives including WVK Initiatives and Child Well- being outcomes in-line with the WVK Strategic priorities.
- Ensure coordination and integration with other Participate and coordinate quality review and capacity building meetings of staff and stakeholders.
- Ensure that professional development activities, including performance appraisals, performance agreements, monitoring and needed training and mentoring activities carried out successfully.
- Impart appropriate mentoring, coaching and supervision in order to equip, motivate and empower Project teams.
- Work with the grant finance team to ensure financial compliance with the set donor standards and that the project expenditure remains within acceptable levels
Design, Monitoring, Evaluation and Reporting (25%)
- Guide development of detailed plan that will support delivery of the project objectives throughout the project period appreciating the unique context.
- Ensure that project’s interventions are implemented in compliance with the Agakhan, GoK, WVK and donor guidelines and regulations.
- Ensure timely surveys of the Project and dissemination of findings to all partners including GoK and the Donor while ensuring streamlining implementation in respect to the outcomes of the survey.
- Organize annual review meetings for planning and monitoring of project activities.
- Compile and submit timely and quality periodic (weekly, monthly, quarterly, semi-annual and annual) reports on the project Implementation and any other reports as required.
- Work with the design monitoring and evaluation team, consultants, AP team to ensure all project indicators are properly baselined, monitored and mid or end term project evaluation is done as per the proposal and Detailed Implementation plans (DIP) and that any recommendations are promptly acted upon.
- Ensure identification, documentation and sharing of best practices, change stories and lesson learnt with the relevant partners & stakeholders.
- Ensure production and dissemination of communications resources for the project to key stake holder
- Ensure Integrated Sponsorship monitoring
- Ensure operational standards of the project are maintained leading to acceptable audit performance
- Ensure implementation of risk and audit recommendations
Collaborations, Advocacy, Engagement, Networking and Partnerships (20%)
- Collaborate with relevant line ministries to implement the project’s interventions within the APs, county and national level.
- Strengthen networking with relevant government departments especially Ministries of Education and county government to lobby for their active participation in building relevant structures for sustainability.
- Strengthen the interaction between the communities and the decision makers by establishing or strengthening existing platforms for advocacy in partnership with other development actors.
- Engage with and manage relationships between partners, and act as the main link between the project and donor.
- Organize and convene/chair meetings for joint planning and progress review with partners.
- Ensure active engagement on policy at the county level on issues to do with Early Childhood Educational Development (ECED) to increase visibility of the project.
- Work with community groups to utilize Citizen Voice and Action (CVA) to enable service users and local partners engage directly with local government to improve the quality of government services for children and to generate information and evidence for use in national level advocacy work.
- Work together with Ministry of Education (MOE)/Teachers Service Commission (TSC) for project planning, monitoring, coordination and sharing of evidence to inform policy
- Resource Acquisition (5%)
- Identify funding gaps related to ECD and develop concepts for fundraising solicitation
- Provide information to inform fund raising initiatives for ECD
- Mobilize the community for community contribution for project interventions
- Perform any other duty as may be assigned by supervisor or designee from time to time
- Participate and contribute in committees and task forces
- Attend and participate/ lead in daily devotions and weekly Chapel services.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Minimum Bachelor’s degree in education, early childhood development, and special needs education or their or equivalent.
- Minimum of 6 years working experience in humanitarian and development specifically in education sector, 3 of which must be in leadership.
- Experience in ECD, Child Rights, advocacy and/or Community Development with strong partnership with GoK ministries and Churches
- Experience in project design, proposal writing, needs assessments, surveys, and information management.
- Familiar with current education sector programming
- Must be results orientated leader with performance based management knowledge who can manage and satisfy donor and other stakeholder demand
- A team player, capable of building staff and community capacity through training.
- Cross-cultural sensitivity and emotional maturity
- Excellent communication skills with proficiency in English & Swahili (both oral and written).
- Good computer skills in MS office (Excel, word, PowerPoint etc)