Campaigns & Advocacy Strategist Jobs, Consultancy Kenya Jobs,
The consultant will be responsible for leading in the development of a communications, campaigns and advocacy strategy to target key government stakeholders and other sector influencers. Working collaboratively with Fresh Life’s Government Affairs and External Relations Teams, the consultant will lead in the review and development of key tools and tactics that will be used to influence key policy decisions, and attract target government stakeholders for a partnership towards scaling safe sanitation for all underserved. The duration of the consultancy is for an initial one month.
Scope of Work
Develop a comprehensive Communications, Campaigns and Advocacy Strategy that will lead to the Government of Kenya to invest more and to adapt policies that will enable the scale of safe sanitation services across all underserved citizens by Fresh Life.
The development of this strategy should ideally entail:
- A thorough assessment and review of the state of sanitation advocacy in Kenya to identify the opportunities that exist to leverage our strategy on. In addition, a review of sanitation policies to identify other tools that Fresh Life can leverage our influencing strategy on.
- Development of a comprehensive advocacy/influencing toolkit. The consultant will lead in the development of an effective toolkit, tactics and key messages to be used by the External Relations and Government Affairs Teams during implementation of the strategy. The toolkit should also include time of implementation and a clear rationale for the time selected.
- Identify and connect Fresh Life to important partnerships and collaborations that will increase the impact of campaigns and advocacy. The consultant will assess and develop a list of key influencers including journalists, social media influencers, and government officials that Fresh Life should synergize efforts with in the advancement of our advocacy work.
- Organize a training workshop for Fresh Life’s External Relations and Government Affairs Teams on best practices in the implementation of the communications, campaigns and advocacy strategy. The consultant will ensure that selected Fresh Life employees are adequately equipped to implement the strategy. This includes campaign monitoring and evaluation to measure progress/impact of campaigns and other tactics.
By the end of the consultancy period, the consultant will:
- Furnish Fresh Life Initiative with a comprehensive five-year communications, campaigns and advocacy strategy document. This document should clearly outline objectives, targets, activities, key campaign messages as well as a comprehensive implementation plan to be used by Fresh Life for maximum impact.
- Develop a list of valuable collaboration stakeholders and influencers that Fresh Life will work with to implement strategy. Further to this, the consultant will make an introduction of Fresh Life to these allies to kick-start a relationship for campaign implementation.
- Develop a strategy and implementation plan for use by the key stakeholders and influencers selected during the period of campaign.
- Conduct a workshop to train the Fresh Life team on the communications, campaigns and advocacy strategy and implementation plan. By the end of the training, the Fresh Life team should be fully equipped with suitable skills and knowledge to successfully conduct advocacy and government stakeholder engagements. In addition, the team should be equipped with the necessary skills for monitoring and documenting the impact of all advocacy/campaigns undertaken. A report for this workshop should be developed and submitted to the Fresh Life team.
Roles and Responsibilities
During engagement, the consultant will be expected to adhere to an agreed upon work plan of deliverables during assignment. He/she will lead in planning and executing the strategic workshop for the Fresh Life Team and will present all reports and other relevant documents as per the key deliverables of this consultancy.
Fresh Life Initiative
Fresh Life staff will support the consultant by conducting onboarding sessions that help the consultant understand Sanergy’s work. In addition, the team will help in organizing relevant internal meetings with other colleagues that aid in building understanding of the company by the consultant.
The consultant profile
The ideal consultant will have the following qualifications:
- Excellent experience and knowledge of strategic communications and advocacy. He/she must demonstrate experience and an excellent track record of successful campaigns, advocacy and/or lobbying projects undertaken in the past.
- Relevant academic background in communications, policy and advocacy, international relations and/or any other relevant social sciences degree. A minimum of 10 years’ experience in communications and advocacy is an added advantage.
- Strong communication, presentation and analytical skills.
- A deep understanding of the media, advocacy and policy making environment in Kenya as well as a good general understanding of how various government departments work.
- A network of qualitative social media influencers, journalists, and other relevant stakeholders for campaigns and lobbying exercises
- The ability to work efficiently and independently to meet key deliverables within agreed timelines. Ideal candidates should be able to demonstrate their project management skills from previous assignments undertaken.
How to Apply
Qualified candidates are requested to submit one .pdf that includes:
- An expression of interest cover letter of no more than one page. It should include the consultant’s availability and commitment to undertake the assignment.
- The consultant’s resume indicating their qualifications and should include 3 referees who can be contacted during the recruitment period.
- A comprehensive portfolio of past projects to demonstrate experience.