- Company: Kenya Animal Genetic Resources Centre
- Location: Kenya
- State: Nairobi
- Job type: Full-Time
- Job category: - IT/Telecom Jobs in KenyaKenya Animal Genetic Resources Centre Jobs in Kenya
Kenya Animal Genetic Resources Centre (KAGRC) formally known as Central Artificial Insemination Station (CAIS) was established by Kenya Gazette Notice Number 557 of 19th June 1946 with the objective of controlling venereal diseases and genetic improvement of exotic dairy Cattle. KAGRC is situated 15 km from City Centre (West of the Nairobi City), and has its Headquarters in Lower Kabete in Nairobi and has land capacity of about 358 Acres, 124 bulls in the stud. The functions of the management committee have since been taken over by the Board of Directors, appointed vide the Gazette Notice No L.N. 110 of 5th Sept. 2011. The mandate of KAGRC is to produce, preserve, and conserve, animal genetic material (semen embryo, tissues and live animals) and rear breeding bulls for provision of high quality disease free semen to meet the national demand and for export. In order to meet its mandate, KAGRC works in close collaboration with other breeding organizations such as the Kenya Stud Book, the Dairy Recording Services of Kenya and the Livestock Recording Center. Together, these organizations implement the Contract Mating and Progeny Testing Programmes. The organization also works closely with the breed societies as well as individual and institutional farms which provide herds for the breeding program. It is a profound achievement that the centre has attained the ISO 9001:2008 QMS certification in management standards on the world best practices. Bull Stud The station initially started with an importation of six bulls in 1946 ; four Guernsey and two Jersey bulls from America and Scotland respectively. Ayrshire and Friesian breeds were later introduced.
The duties and responsibilities of the officer will entail:
- Providing advice of ICT hardware, software, network and communication devices and equipment;
- Participating in acceptance test, supervision and commissioning of ICT systems/equipment;
- Providing support and guidance to ICT in the use of ICT equipment and devices;
- Participating in implementing programs for safeguarding data integrity of all systems.
- Providing for system/application availability through the necessary technical support/upgrades;
- Routine installation, configuration servicing, repair and maintenance of computer hardware and network;
- Preparing monthly, quarterly and annual maintenance and repair reports; and
- Participating in committee meetings as appropriate.
For appointment to this grade, a candidate must have:
- Diploma in Computer Science, Information Technology, Information, Communication Technology, or equivalent from a recognized institution;
- Two (2) years relevant work experience;
- Conversant with software’s’ used for semen processing and liquid nitrogen production;
- Demonstrated results in work performance; and
- Fulfilled the requirements of Chapter Six of the Constitution.
Key competencies and skills
- Communication skills;
- Interpersonal skills; and