- Company: SNV Netherlands Development Organisation
- Location: Kenya
- State: Nairobi
- Job type: Full-Time
- Job category: Technical Jobs in Kenya
Founded in the Netherlands in 1965, we have built a long-term, local presence in many of the poorest countries in Asia, Africa and Latin America. Our global team of local and international advisors work with local partners to equip communities, businesses and organisations with the tools, knowledge and connections they need to increase their incomes and gain access to basic services – empowering them to break the cycle of poverty and guide their own development.
We are looking to hire a WASH Technical Specialist to undertake technical assessments and analysis of rural water systems. The preferred candidate will have an excellent understanding of the Kenyan water sector and a sound knowledge of rural water supply. He/She will conduct detailed assessments on rural water assets, design practical capacity building activities to address the challenges and dynamics faced by community-managed rural water systems and provide linkages with solution partners from private sector. Experience working in arid and semi-arid areas will be an added advantage.
- Manage day-to-day relationships with selected small scale water utilities and community-based water systems, county governments and other private sector companies.
- Design technical interventions that will create change in improving performance of rural water systems.
- Optimise technical interventions towards resilience, competitiveness and inclusiveness in business operations.
- Support county governments, local communities and local private players to create awareness, improve knowledge and understanding of operational and maintenance, and management aspects of rural water systems and the role private sector can play.
- Prepare briefs and reports on rural water systems that present gaps, suggest technically feasible and appropriate solutions and define expected results and milestones and subsequently monitor their performance and results.
- Manage technical interventions to improve the performance of selected rural water systems.
- Identify opportunities for innovation and new areas for improving engagement with private sector companies and tools.
- Contribute to internal learning and knowledge management processes, including regular performance monitoring, programme reviews and evaluations.
- A minimum of a Bachelors’ degree in Engineering with a specialisation in water infrastructure and management. A Masters in Engineering or equivalent professional certification will be highly preferred.
- At least 8 years’ work experience in the water sector with demonstrated experience in design, implementation and evaluation of water infrastructure systems with government and international organisations. Experience gained in the water sector environment would be an added advantage.
- Good understanding of commercial viability, operational and maintenance cost recovery strategies and professionalisation of water operations.
- Good analytical and critical thinking skills, problem-solving, judgment and decision-making skills and the ability to monitor and explain trends and variances.
- Excellent writing skills and strong reporting and presentation skills, with the ability to communicate technical information in a clear and concise manner, for different purposes and across multiple audiences.
- Strong relationship management skills, with the ability to engage direct and indirect reports and peers.
- Good negotiation and persuasion skills with the ability to influence people positively.
- Able to work both independently, efficiently and effectively as well as in collaboration with people at various levels and from different backgrounds.
- Proficiency in MS Office applications i.e. Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook