- Company: BBC World Service
- Location: Kenya
- State: Nairobi
- Job type: Full-Time
- Job category: - - Advertising/Media Jobs in KenyaBBC World Service Jobs in KenyaMedia Jobs in Kenya
Job Reference : BBC/TP/2269572/60542
As a Broadcast Journalist with the Tigrinya team, you will create content to maximise the BBC World Service’s impact and potential in Africa. This will involve researching, interviewing original sources and writing reports for radio and digital platforms. You will consistently produce engaging packages through a range of production skills, delivering to tight deadlines whilst maintaining the highest editorial standards.
As well as being the first to respond to breaking news stories, you will help to produce and/or present the BBC’s live radio programme and create original and creative content to drive other social media platforms.
The Ideal Candidate
- The successful candidate will have demonstrable experience in a journalistic role, either in TV, radio or digital.
- You will have a broad understanding of the requirements and interests of younger audiences in the Horn of Africa and internationally.
- First class knowledge of news and current affairs in the target region is essential. You will have evidence of using social media tools across a range of platforms and the ability to create innovative and original stories for our Service.
- Fluency in Tigrinya (written and spoken) and a broadcast-standard of English (written and spoken) is essential.
Key responsibilities and accountabilities
- Use a range of video, audio and digital equipment and information technology to research, write, assemble, edit and deliver outputs in the appropriate medium in Tigrinya, to the highest professional standards.
- May be required to present the content on radio, TV or online. This might be live or recorded.
- May include the production and presentation of programmes. This might be live or recorded
- Exercise editorial judgment in developing story ideas and producing accurate and impartial journalism.
- To undertake pre and post production and studio work, live and prerecorded. Use a range of video, audio & digital equipment and information technology to research, write, assemble, edit and deliver programmes in appropriate medium, to the highest professional standards.
- To liaise closely with other team members and with other departments in the BBC, to ensure that output material is shared, duplication is avoided, and best practice is upheld.
- Take a lead within a team setting or on delivering a specific piece of journalism or project as appropriate.
- To tailor different news treatments for different audiences ensuring that the output reflects the audiences we serve.
- To prioritise and plan activities taking into account all the relevant issues and factors such as deadlines staffing and resources available.
- To produce engaging packages through a range of production skills
- Delivering to tight deadlines while maintaining the highest editorial standards.
- At all times to carry out duties in accordance with the BBC Health and Safety policy