- Company: International Potato Center (CIP)
- Location: Kenya
- State: Nairobi
- Job type: Full-Time
- Job category: Logistics/Transportation Jobs in Kenya
The International Potato Center, known by its Spanish acronym CIP, was founded in 1971 as a root and tuber research-for-development institution delivering sustainable solutions to the pressing world problems of hunger, poverty, and the degradation of natural resources. CIP is truly a global center, with headquarters in Lima, Peru and offices in 20 developing countries across Asia, Africa, and Latin America. Working closely with our partners, CIP seeks to achieve food security, increased well-being, and gender equity for poor people in the developing world. CIP furthers its mission through rigorous research, innovation in science and technology, and capacity strengthening regarding root and tuber farming and food systems. CIP is part of the CGIAR Consortium, a global partnership that unites organizations engaged in research for a food secure future. CGIAR research is dedicated to reducing rural poverty, increasing food security, improving human health and nutrition, and ensuring more sustainable management of natural resources. Donors include individual countries, major foundations, and international entities.
The International Potato Center (CIP) is seeking to recruit a dynamic and experienced Driver to provide support to the Potato Program.
The Position: The Driver will assist in supporting CIP project activities in Kenya and will report directly to the Senior Scientist.
- Ensure that project vehicles are kept clean and road worthy.
- Check vehicle condition/requirement and fill-in the Logbook properly.
- Ensure use of project vehicles follows CIP motor vehicle policy.
- Operate vehicles in a safe and courteous manner and always follow road safety standards.
- Conduct day-to-day vehicle checks on oil, water, battery, brakes, tyres etc. and timely report any noted defects to the supervisor.
- Ensure regular maintenance and servicing of project vehicles with reputable service providers.
- Report accidents or incidents to the supervisor in a timely manner.
- Drive project vehicles for transportation of project staff to implement field activities in project target countries.
- Prepare monthly summary of project vehicles’ logbooks and share with the office administrative assistant.
- Ensure compliance with CIP driving policy in case of involvement in an accident.
- Perform other duties assigned by the supervisor.
- Valid driver’s license.
- At least 2 years of experience required in similar positions with a safe driving record.
- Knowledge of driving rules and regulations.
- Basic knowledge of car mechanics and ability to attend to minor repairs and maintenance of the vehicle in case of breakdown will be an advantage.
- Computer literate and conversant with the MS Office.
- Ability to adapt to different work situations and work in a team.
- Experience in driving 4×4 vehicles over long distances and on rough terrain.
- Experience in working with international organizations is an added advantage.
- Willingness to spend considerable time working under field conditions in rural areas.
- Valid certificate of good conduct.
- Why should you consider this opportunity?art R&D background.gender equality for poor people in root and tuber farming and food systems of the developing world.dedicated to reducing poverty, enhancing food and nutrition security, and improving natural resources.
What are we offering?What are the conditions?
The position is Nationally Recruited Staff (NRS) position limited to Kenyan nationals and permanent residents only. The employment contract will be for a one-year (with a 3-month probation period) possibility of renewal, subject to availability of funding.
- CIP is a global and reputable international organization that has a strong, state-of-the-
- CIP is dedicated to achieving food security, improved nutrition and well-being, and
- CIP is a member of the CGIAR, a global research partnership for a food secure future
- Excellent working environment.
- Generous compensation package commensurate with experience.
- Work in an equal and diverse workplace.